Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Dealing with the aftermath of a fire can be stressful and chaotic. No matter the size of the fire, the damage that it can cause to your home, furniture, and valuable possessions can be extremely emotional. Our certified techs are equipped with specialized fire damage restoration equipment and the knowledge to help get you through this time. When dealing with fire damage, your primary focus should be your safety. SERVPRO of Scottsdale has compiled a list of tips for what to do after a fire. Once we arrive, we'll be sure to treat your property and belongings with the upmost care.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (480) 998-7989
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.