How To Care for Commercial Ceiling Tiles
Think about how often you gaze toward the ceiling at your commercial property in Scottsdale. Likely not as often as you should. Tile discoloration ranges from purely cosmetic to an indicator of tile mold. Here are some things to consider when looking at the ceiling, and what to do next.
What Causes Staining?
There are many possible reasons that the view above you has withered over time. Some common explanations include:
- Water staining is the most frequent cause of a yellow or brown tint. Although this seems innocuous, water damage on the ceiling may point to a larger problem like a leak above resulting in tile mold.
- Ultraviolet lighting, smoke, or extreme heat incurs color changes over time.
- Tile discoloration also naturally happens due to age, typically after about 10 years.
- In addition to changes in color, you may also observe some warping or cracking.
How Is Tile Cleaned?
Cleaning is a more cost effective, faster method of extending the life of the ceiling:
- There are a number of products available for stain removal. Use a damp cloth with a commercial cleaner to wipe down the area. Alternatively, spray on a combination of one part bleach to one part water.
- Depending on the age and the reason for the damage, you may not be able to achieve the desired result by cleaning alone.
When Should the Ceiling Be Replaced?
There are times when replacement is preferable or necessary:
- If you have renovated other parts of the building, there are aesthetic reasons for a change.
- When the origin of discoloration is water damage, replacement is often needed. Due to the porous nature of the tiles, trapped water breeds mold. In this case, work with a mold restoration specialist to ensure that the area is properly contained, cleaned and restored.
Do not ignore tile discoloration at your commercial property in Scottsdale. At the very least, it may need cleaned. If you suspect tile mold due to an underlying problem, consult a professional for proper remediation and replacement.