Monsoon Safety Tips
Scottsdale, AZ has seen quite a bit of storm activity during this monsoon season, especially within this past month, from dust storms, flooded roadways, downed trees and power lines, and power outages. These monsoon storms can happen at a moments notice and can catch you off guard while you're out and about. Whether it's a dust storm, minor flooding in low lying/flood prone areas or a flash flood, it's important to know what to do while you're away from your home. Here are five helpful tips to help Scottsdale residents avoid getting stuck in what could be a disastrous situation.
1. Keep up-to-date with the weather to know when a storm is expected to hit the area. This allows you to plan your activities wisely. It's also helpful to keep the "Emergency Alerts" notification enabled on your smartphone so that you can be alerted of a Dust Storm or Flash Flood warning.
2. Check your vehicle's windshield wipers to make sure they are in good condition and replace if necessary.
3. If you find yourself on the road during a dust storm, pull over to a safe spot far away from the road, set the parking brake and turn off your lights. You do not want to confuse vehicles driving behind you who may not know you're parked which may lead to them stricking your vehicle from behind.
4. DO NOT enter flooded roadways with your vehicle as you don't know how deep the water is. No matter how big your vehicle is and you think you can make it through, don't. 2 feet of water can cause your car to float so it is best to turn around and find an alternate route. Pay attention to road closure signs and do not drive around them.
5. DO NOT stand or walk in moving or standing water. It only takes 6 inches of water to knock you off your feet.
6. If your vehicle gets stuck in flooded waters and the water is not moving, leave the vehicle and head to higher ground. If the water is moving, stay in your vehicle until help arrives.
These are just several safety tips to consider when you are caught out and about in a storm. If you are experiencing any storm damage to your home or business, call SERVPRO of Scottsdale. We offer residential and commercial restoration and cleaning services. When you have a cleaning or restoration need, we’re ready to help 24/7 to quickly make it “Like it never even happened.”