Tips To Prevent A Dryer Fire
Scottsdale homeowners, when was the last time you cleaned out the lint filter in your clothes dryer at your home? Yesterday? Last week? Last month? What kind of vent hose do you have? Better yet, when was the last time you had your dryer vent and exhaust system inspected? According to the U.S Fire Administration, nearly 3,000 clothes dryer fires are reported each year, resulting in an annual estimate of $35 million in property loss. Here are several tips to inform Scottsdale homeowners on how to prevent a dryer fire to protect your home and most importantly, your family.
Clean Out The Lint
This is something you want to incorporate into your routine each and every time you do your laundry. Over time, lint buildup in the filter can catch fire and can lead to extremely dangerous results and tremendous damage. A little routine lint cleanup can go a long way.
Remove Flammables Near Dryer
It's very important to remember not to store items on top of the dryer such as clothing, towels, blankets, etc., in order to avoid these items potentially catching on fire. You also want to make sure to clean the lint on the dryer and to sweep around the dryer to get the lint that may be collecting underneath. In addition, be sure to store flammables (such as household cleaners) away from your dryer to avoid adding more fuel to a fire in the event of one starting.
Inspect Vent Hose
Be sure to inspect the vent hose behind the dryer to make sure it's still intact and in good condition. You want to make sure that you're not using a plastic or a foil accordion style hose. If you are, make sure to replace with a metal hose as these are more durable and will prevent lint buildup on the inside of the hose.
So you cleaned out the lint filter – awesome! Now have you cleaned and inspected the venting and exhaust system? Experts recommend inspecting and cleaning every year. If you're not sure how to do so, don't sweat it. You can always contact a qualified professional to clean and inspect to make sure everything is tip top.
Don't Leave Dryer Unattended
We all lead busy, hectic lives and want to accomplish all the tasks on our daily list of things to do. Whether you need to leave the house to pick up the kids from school or run to the grocery store, it's extremely important to never leave the drying running unattended.
If you have any questions or would like additional information on Fire Damage, feel free to call SERVPRO of Scottsdale at (480) 998-7989 or visit us at www.SERVPROScottsdale.com to learn more. We are available 24/7 to quickly make it “Like It Never Even Happened.”