Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
How To Care for Commercial Ceiling Tiles
Moldy ceiling damage in Mcdowell Mountain,AZ
Think about how often you gaze toward the ceiling at your commercial property in Scottsdale. Likely not as often as you should. Tile discoloration ranges from purely cosmetic to an indicator of tile mold. Here are some things to consider when looking at the ceiling, and what to do next.
What Causes Staining?
There are many possible reasons that the view above you has withered over time. Some common explanations include:
- Water staining is the most frequent cause of a yellow or brown tint. Although this seems innocuous, water damage on the ceiling may point to a larger problem like a leak above resulting in tile mold.
- Ultraviolet lighting, smoke, or extreme heat incurs color changes over time.
- Tile discoloration also naturally happens due to age, typically after about 10 years.
- In addition to changes in color, you may also observe some warping or cracking.
How Is Tile Cleaned?
Cleaning is a more cost effective, faster method of extending the life of the ceiling:
- There are a number of products available for stain removal. Use a damp cloth with a commercial cleaner to wipe down the area. Alternatively, spray on a combination of one part bleach to one part water.
- Depending on the age and the reason for the damage, you may not be able to achieve the desired result by cleaning alone.
When Should the Ceiling Be Replaced?
There are times when replacement is preferable or necessary:
- If you have renovated other parts of the building, there are aesthetic reasons for a change.
- When the origin of discoloration is water damage, replacement is often needed. Due to the porous nature of the tiles, trapped water breeds mold. In this case, work with a mold restoration specialist to ensure that the area is properly contained, cleaned and restored.
Do not ignore tile discoloration at your commercial property in Scottsdale. At the very least, it may need cleaned. If you suspect tile mold due to an underlying problem, consult a professional for proper remediation and replacement.
The Flood Cut: Cutting Your Way Toward Restoration
Flood cut due to water damage in a North Scottsdale,AZ home
Flooding in your home is an emotional roller coaster and one that doesn’t end when the water recedes. The restoration process begins with property removal and the dreaded flood cut, which can leave many homeowners feeling like the restoration process is moving backward instead of forward.
1. What Is a Flood Cut?
A flood cut is a process of exposing wall studs to allow your home structure to dry without the worry of spreading mold and mildew. In order to reveal the studs, a cut must be made above the flood damage, about 12-18 inches, accounting for moisture absorption in the framing and insulation.
2. When Is It Necessary?
Flooding does not always consist of clean water. When a flood is caused by sewage or other polluted water, a flood cut is necessary to avoid contamination. The cut allows crews to remove affected insulation, drywall, and even studs to ensure the health and safety of you and your family.
3. Can It Be Avoided?
If the floodwater is clean water, then it is possible to avoid cutting open your wall, but only if the affected wall does not have insulation. In this instance, crews can drill several small holes into the affected drywall and insert flexible air hoses which used to pump dry, warm air into the cavity, drying the studs and drywall.
4. Is It a DIY Project?
You can try to perform a flood cut on your own, but if the floodwater was composed of sewage water, then it may be a better idea to call emergency restoration services in the North Scottsdale,AZ, area. Sewage water is considered black water, and it presents many health risks to you and your family.
Flooding can cause a lot of damage structurally and personally, but a flood cut should not be looked at as furthering that damage. A cut is actually a step in the right direction, a step toward restoring order in your home, and while you may be able to perform this task on your own, be sure always to consider your safety first.
3 Crucial Steps for Restoring Your Commercial Property After a Fire
Fire damage in a North Scottsdale,AZ building
Restoring your Commercial Property the Right Way
When a devastating fire wreaks havoc on your North Scottsdale,AZ , building, dealing with the aftermath can be a struggle, both mentally and emotionally. However, it’s vastly important that fire restoration becomes your main priority, as there’s no time to waste when it comes to minimizing the effects on your business. Before making any rash moves, consider these three crucial steps for restoring your commercial property the right way and setting a smart recovery plan into motion.
- Hire professional board-up services to help prevent further damage to the property. Although you’re sure to be anxious about getting inside the building to inspect the damage, it’s important to stay safe and have fire restoration specialists come in beforehand. They can board up your windows, put tarps over any roof damage, install protective fencing if necessary and take other measures necessary to ensure that the likelihood of more damage is minimal. It’s also crucial for maintaining the scene until an inspection is completed.
- Contact the necessary services and gather the right documentation. Though making endless phone calls might be the last thing you want to commit to after your loss, it’s vital that you start getting in touch with building department inspectors, fire department officials, claim adjusters or whomever you need to in order to collect the necessary paperwork and have it ready for your insurance company.
- Look over your fire insurance policy and contact your agent immediately. Promptly reporting that damage has occurred to your commercial property is possibly the most crucial, money-saving step. Read over your policy to see if things like water damage or smoke cleaning services are covered under your plan, and let a professional inspect the area to give you an estimate on your property damage.
Recovery efforts at your North Scottsdale,AZ, commercial property can seem daunting at first, but maintaining a level head and following these three important methods for fire restoration can help ease the stress and anxiety.